Here’s a volunteer opportunity for garden enthusiasts.
VON Hamilton’s Adult Day Program and the Hamilton Victory Gardens partnered to build raised garden beds at the VON day program site. The gardens yielded over 1300 pounds of produce in the summer of 2017. These gardens provide fresh produce for food banks and meal programs.
In addition to contributing to the harvest from Hamilton city locations, this garden is truly meaningful for the frail complex senior clients who spend their days at the Centre. For our clients, this garden harkens back to a time when their generation gardened for both enjoyment and necessity.
With support from VON staff, students and volunteers, the garden provides clients with the opportunity to participate as productive members of a community that they helped to build.
Volunteers are required to assist with our garden on Tuesday and/or Thursday mornings for a couple of hours.
Interested gardening enthusiasts can contact Janis Doran at 905-529-0700 x2251 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
VON Hamilton provides home care and community support services to assist people to remain healthy and independent in the community. Our Adult Day Centre provides a meaningful program of activity for clients as well as respite for their caregivers.
As part of the VON team, you will make a positive impact on the lives of seniors and adults with disabilities who need support services to help to remain independent in their home. VON is Canada’s largest, national, not-for-profit home and community care organization. We’ve been offering high-quality, innovative care and supports since 1897. Come volunteer with us - it’s a service that matters!
Purpose of the Program:
- To provide a day out for older adults with disabilities and/or memory loss who require support to participate in recreational, physical and social activities
- Program provides a hot meal, refreshments, medication reminders, exercise and assistance with personal care in an integrated environment
- Victory Gardens grow fresh produce for food banks and meal programs and provideopportunities for Day Program clients to engage in stimulating activity
- Assist program staff with gardens, growing fresh produce for food banks and meal programs
- Maintain garden as directed, planting, tending, weeding and harvesting as required
- Provide friendly conversation and socialization for clients in a safe supportive environment
- Meet new people and have fun
- Join a team dedicated to making a difference through growing fresh produce, helping to alleviate hunger and food insecurity
- Play an important role in helping clients remain engaged and safe
Training and Support:
- VON provides orientation and training
- Ongoing support provided by the Adult Day Program staff
Skills and Qualifications:
- Satisfactory Police Vulnerable Sector Check and 2 Valid References
- Good interpersonal skills
- Program operates Monday-Friday, 9:00am-4:00pm. Shifts to be determined by mutual agreement with day program staff